Let us introduce ourselves...
After the Yale Wagon Road (now Old Yale Road) opened in the late 19th century, farming, logging and fishing became the primary industries of the new settlers. Around 1917, a resident of the area, Mr. Tom Fleetwood, joined the 47th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditional Forces and was sent to France to fight in World War I, where he gave his life in one of the battles. Shortly thereafter, his sister applied to the provincial government for a charter to name her community after her brother. A life size bronze statue of Thomas Fleetwood is located at the Fleetwood Community Centre today.
In 1966, a group of believers wished to gather children from the community in order to teach them from the Bible. A two storey building on Hjorth Road (now 104 Ave & 156 St) was rented in 1966 for this purpose. A good number of children and adults attended this Gospel outreach for about two years. Then, a one acre parcel of land was purchased at 8725 - 158 Street and a building was erected. There has been an active congregation here for over 40 years and we invite you to join us for our services.
2 - What do we believe?
- The Bible is the Word of God, revealing His mind to us (2 Timothy 3:15-16)
- The One God eternally exists in three equal persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 13:14)
- Jesus Christ is the only begotten and eternal Son of God, miraculously born of the virgin Mary, and that He was the only one whose life was absolutely sinless (John 1:1, Matthew 1:18-23).
- The total depravity of man through the fall in Eden's garden and that it is impossible for man to be saved by his own works or religious observances. (Romans 3:23, Ephesians 2:8-9)
- That on the cross, Christ paid the full penalty of sin forever, and any person who in faith rests upon that finished work immediately receives the forgiveness of sins and eternal life. (John 5:24, John 19:30, 1 John 5:11-13)
- God set His seal of approval to Christ's work by raising Him from the dead. (Acts 1:3, Acts 2:32-36, Philippians 2:9-11)
- The eternal punishment of every person who refuses to accept Christ as personal Saviour. (John 5:28-29, Hebrews 2:3, Revelation 20:15)
- The coming of the Lord Jesus Christ for His own can happen at any moment, raising those who have died believing in Him, changing the living believers, and taking them all to be forever with Himself. (1 Thessalonians 4:14-17, John 14:3)
1 - Who are we?
- We are Christians who gather simply in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 18:20)
- We are non-denominational, using the names that are given to the children of God in the New Testament Scriptures, such as: believers, brethern, saints and Christians. (Acts 11:26, Colossians 1:2)
- We have no creed, but accept the Bible, which we believe to be divinely inspired. The Word of God is our infallible guide in all things. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- We observe the ordinances left by the Lord Jesus for His people, namely: Baptism of true believers in Christ (Acts 18:8) and The Lord's Supper (Luke 22:19, Acts 2:42)
- To exalt God by gathering to worship and praise Him.
- To preach the Gospel freely - our objective is "souls for Christ" and not just merely church membership. (Mark 16:15)
- To teach children the Biblical way to heaven. (Matthew 19:14, 2 Timothy 3:15)
- To help believers grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 3:18)
- To provide fellowship for all true Christians. (Acts 2:42, Hebrews 10:28)
We place great value and importance on families. Young people, please join us for Sunday School and/or Kidz Bible Klub. Meet with other children from the neighbourhood to enjoy Bible songs and lessons that tell about God and His care - that they each would look to Christ individually for eternal salvation as well as receive quality spiritual guidance and training while they are young. For adults, we offer a Gospel meeting each Sunday evening. During the one hour service, usually two speakers will teach from God's word about His love in providing salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ.
We cordially invite you and your family to come visit us at Fleetwood Gospel Hall. Our services are conducted in an orderly fashion with reverence for God. No public collections or appeals for funds are ever made.